Why we choose Essential Oils over Pharmaceuticals
Good gracious one gets lost in the enormous amount of information floating the net regarding essential oils. Each time I think about writing a clear and concise little article it just keeps going and going! So I have taken the “meat” of all the crazy information flooding your news feed and will attempt to get those brain cells firing. For my family, once we started to incorporate the right oils we saw significant improvement in skin, respiratory function, digestive cleansing and focus just to name a few! It was significant in our recovery from autism in terms of supporting a strong immune system, brain health and deep sleep!
Lets open up a whole new world of “thinking naturally” and supporting a healthy body.
Listed below are my favorite points to always keep in mind when using essential oils, safety precautions, basic facts and why they are so darn amazing!
The TOP Facts You Need to Know:
- Essential oils are not really oils. They do not contain the fatty acids that constitute what we would consider an actual oil (it is not olive or vegetable oil). Essential oils are the actual life force of the plant. It is the plants “immune system” and it works in harmony with us. Hmmm…I wonder who could have designed something so genius?
- Essential oils have also been used for thousands of years for cosmetic purposes, as well as for their spiritually and emotionally uplifting properties. Only one company has been at the forefront of bringing this ancient tradition to modern users, properly distilling their oils with extreme care.
- Primarily extracted through careful steam distillation but also through cold pressing, the purest essential oils are far more powerful than the botanicals from which they were extracted. Any time you hold a bottle of our powerful essential oils, you are holding nature’s pure healing compounds, unique to each plant.
- The strongest of anti bacterial properties, anti fungal, anti parasitic and truly the one thing that is capable of fighting super bugs effectively with zero side effects.
- Absolutely perfect for use as an everyday routine to keep a nice healthy shield around your family. Some of the best are: lemon, clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus, oregano, thyme and rosemary. All are wonderful options to store-bought synthetics.
I want natural instead of lab-made for my family
God has already solved the problem of over-use in synthetic drugs and antibiotic resistance, and it has been with us since the beginning of time. HOW? With plants that contain essential oils with naturally-occurring constituents that are able to win the war on super-bugs. Also, because the amount of precipitation, the temperature range, the soil, wind, and other environmental factors vary from year to year, each harvest of those plants differs. The difference is in the levels of those natural chemical constituents. In other words synthetics cannot “out-mutate” a pure, therapeutic-grade essential oil.
- Essential oils are minuscule in molecular size, so this means they are worker bees! They pass thru to the skin traveling to the bloodstream, which carries each little molecule to parts in the body. However, they do not overstay their welcome. They establish good health and then pass on thru. So, often it takes diligence but well worth the wait for not having to experience the side effects of other choices.
- Scientific studies have shown that rosemary AND lemon essential oils can improve memory and oxygenate the brain, which positively effects diseases like dementia. Why? The limbic portion of our brain holds the key to unlock a whole host of memories associated with smell, even some traumatic events. Releasing these emotions gently allows our body to stay in a state of balance and health. When we don’t intentionally use our God-given sense of smell to re-connect to new and old memories, our bodies are not very happy with us. Study HERE on rosemary.
- Fragrance/aromatic oils and essential oils are NOT the same thing. It ‘aint no Bath and Body Works people. As a rule of thumb, if you see the word “fragrance” or “fragrance oil” or even “perfume” on anything, you can assume this is synthetic and NOT natural (Even if it says natural fragrance). Just say “no” to oils available at markets, amazon, and many other outlets. Do your due diligence on researching the best brand with the longest track record. I highly recommend calling each oil company you are considering investing your health and money int0 and ask tough questions. Other tips: There should be no expiration date (minus some citrus oils) and it should have a lot number printed on each bottle to reference the exact crop used. There is only one brand I trust and use. Contact me HERE to learn more
- POTENCY: Insane amounts of plants are needed to produce essential oil. In fact, it takes 4000 pounds of Bulgarian roses to produce 1 pound of essential oil. Other plants like lavender only take 100 or so pounds of plant material to produce a pound of essential oil. Still, can you imagine how concentrated essential oils must be, in light of how many plants are used to produce them? And because of that reason we reach for our oils before anything else. Potency=fast acting droplets of goodness.
- Essential oils are completely natural and ever evolving. Thus, they cannot be patented; which means that you’ll never see an essential oil in anything man-made. As such, you can expect that the vast majority of mainstream society will never recommend essential oils as therapeutic options, and since there is no money to be made by big corporations, studies are hard to come by. Unfortunately, this limits our scientific knowledge of essential oils, and the majority of what we know about them are things that have been passed down through thousands of years of personal use and experimentation. There are some great organizations like ARAISE who devote time and money to scientific studies of the therapeutic benefits of these plants.
- Some essential oils require caution when used undiluted on the skin. Instead, they should be combined with “carrier” oils, like Jojoba, Olive, Coconut or any other fatty base. Because they’re so deeply concentrated, a little goes a long way, and as you further your journey with EO’s your comfort level will increase giving you knowledge of how your body reacts to the use of God’s unique plants.
- There are many essential oils that are generally recognized as safe (GRAS) to use undiluted. Of course, there has to be a few exceptions to the rule. For example some that are GRAS: lavender, german chamomile, tea tree, sandalwood, rose and geranium. Hotter oils like: thyme, cinnamon, oregano, cassia and wintergreen should often be diluted. Our feet would be an exception because of the density in the bottom of our feet, dilution is rarely required.
Contact me HERE to learn more about which oils I trust and use
- Always start with using a carrier oil on a baby or child. Children have much thinner, more delicate skin than adults have, and tend to be very sensitive to the potency of essential oils.
- And on the topic of safety, it is often good to avoid the following essential oils while pregnant or nursing: clary sage, hyssop, cinnamon and fennel. I will say, however, that this is where the purity of your oils matter. When you are dealing with a properly distilled and completely pure oil, many safety precautions do not apply, as they would in traditional aromatherapy.
- To test if you’re sensitive to an essential oil (which is probably best to do before using it in a skincare preparation): Combine one drop of essential oil with 1/2 tsp carrier oil (like olive, jojoba, or sweet almond). Rub this on the inside, upper portion of your arm and wait a few hours. If no redness or itching develops, you’re most likely not sensitive to that essential oil. Sensitivity and “allergic reaction” are often confused. As stated above, if you are using a pure brand, you can rest assure that an allergic reaction is extremely rare to occur because of their commitment to purity.
- Keep all essential oils out of the reach of children – and avoid contact with your eyes. These are just standard safety precautions, but must be mentioned. No one wants to a spicy drop of cinnamon in their eye, it stings..BAD, this happened to us once and we added some coconut oil to our eye to help immediately!
- Internal consumption. This is a big one, with so many myths and opinions. So let’s cut to the chase. When dealing with 99% of essential oils sold in the world today, I would strongly discourage the use of ingestion. However, what about the 1% that is pure? Because internal consumption of oils can be an effective protocol when used in the right situation and with the purest of oils. Refer back to those 12 important Questions and do your research. I will share from personal experience, there are many oils I take internally on a daily basis and maintain my good health by doing so, and my children get supported immune function as well. With anything, even inherently safe natural substances, common sense should rule.
- Not all essential oils are created equally, nor does more expensive necessarily mean “better.” Again, I would “vet” your oil company well. When you see a wide fluctuation in price between, say, lavender essential oils, you can bet that the far less expensive one is likely lower in quality. A small variation in price differences on the higher end doesn’t always mean a better essential oil. It will just mean a higher price. However, if you want pure oils that have the ability to correct cells, delete mis-information and detox the junk out properly, then choose wisely, and I can guarantee you those won’t be the oils at the local natural market.
- Essential oils will last for at least 5 years (if not 200!), so one bottle could literally last you a decade. Hopefully that thought will help mitigate the cost involved in purchasing some essential oils. Because they are SO concentrated and only a tiny amount is needed in anything you do, they’ll last you a very, very long time. The only exception to this rule is citrus oils, which will see a reduction in potency after a year or two.
- Store your essential oils in dark glass bottles (which they were probably packaged in) and out of direct sunlight. This is simply to help preserve their potency and healing constituencies.
- The recommended usage of many essential oils is hotly contested throughout the aromatherapy profession. The majority of oils you find in the supermarket are safe enough to smell and possibly clean with (though you should research them before use); however, once you start digging into the world of essential oils, you’ll find that professionals – even within the same organization – debate extensively over the use of certain oils. If you’re ever unsure about an oil or its use, do the research you can, and if you still cannot make up your mind as to its safety – avoid it. But, by all means, do NOT be afraid of essential oils. Just use them with care and respect, and all will be fine.
Practical Ways Essential Oils can help your Emotional State
ESSENTIAL OILS TO MAINTAIN A HEALTHY HAPPY MOOD. Lavender, peppermint, grapefruit, chamomile, lemon, ylang-ylang all help support happy, joyous moods. Clary sage and serums that are extracted from wild yams help with balancing hormones in females. Rosemary my support focus and concentration. Don’t forget the mood benefits of essential oils on the limbic portion of our brain.
What are my TOP picks to start your journey?
Cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, rosemary and lemon immunity blend – We use this oil to boost our immune system and I personally cannot live without it. We rub this daily on the kids feet before school, spray their backpacks, hands and heads and diffuse often. Smells pretty amazing too. This immune building blend was created based on research about four robbers in France who covered themselves with cloves, rosemary, and other aromatics while robbing plague victims. This oil blend was university tested for its cleansing abilities. It is highly effective in supporting the immune system and good health.
Lemon – What more can I say? Use lemon in your water daily and diffuse then call me in the morning Here is more: Lemon (Citrus limon) has a strong, purifying, citrus scent that is revitalizing and uplifting. Lemon consists of 68 percent dlimonene, a powerful antioxidant. It is delightfully refreshing in water and may be beneficial for the skin. Lemon may also be used to enhance the flavor of foods. Lemon essential oil is cold-pressed from the rinds of lemons. Jean Valnet MD estimated that it takes 3,000 lemons to produce one kilo of oil. In his book, The Practice of Aromatherapy, Valnet wrote that lemon is a tonic for supporting the nervous and sympathetic nervous system.* Lemon has an approximate ORAC of 6,619 (TE/L). TE/L is expressed as micromole Trolox equivalent per liter.
Peppermint - Not only a great oil to keep in your purse (we use for combating fevers in our home) but I also love this in my water and feel amazing afterward. There are awesome benefits like:
Peppermint (Mentha piperita) has a strong, clean, fresh, minty aroma. One of the oldest and most highly regarded herbs for soothing digestion, it may also restore digestive efficiency.* Jean Valnet MD studied peppermint’s supportive effect on the liver and respiratory systems. Other scientists have also researched peppermint’s role in improving taste and smell when inhaled. Dr. William N. Dember of the University of Cincinnati studied peppermint’s ability to improve concentration and mental sharpness. Alan Hirsch MD studied peppermint’s ability to directly affect the brain’s satiety center, which triggers a sensation of fullness after meals. This powerful essential oil is often diluted before topical application. Peppermint may also be used to enhance the flavor of food and water. Peppermint has an approximate ORAC of 373,455 (TE/L). TE/L is expressed as micromole Trolox equivalent per liter.
Fennel Digestive Blend - This is our knight in shining armor. Safe for the littlest treasures and we love to use daily. It is critical to purify and support the digestive cells that create the immense ecosystem we have in our guts. This is especially true for children. Not only can oils help in that regard, but also shorten vomiting and food poisoning significantly. We cannot live without this special blend in our home.
Calming blend – if you want to never hear your kids at night again. Ok just kidding, but really, lather your kids up! It is a gentle, fragrant blend. When diffused, it helps calm tensions and uplift the spirit, promoting relaxation and a deep sense of peace. When massaged on the bottoms of the feet, it can be a wonderful prelude to a peaceful night’s rest. This special blend of patchouli, spruce, tangerine and cedarwod may be especially calming and comforting to young children after an overactive and stressful day.
There are many more, but what you will see once you start your journey is that the oils speak for themselves and there really is no wrong oil, God designed them to heal and heal they sure do!
Click here to learn more and join me in this journey! I would be honored to guide you.
The information on this email/blog/post/correspondence is for educational purposes only and it is my life story. It is not intended to prescribe, diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please educate yourself and address any health or medical needs you may have with your physician. The essential oils described refer only to therapeutic grade essential oils. I only recommend a particular brand of essential oils, because they are the only distributor of food-grade high quality essential oils. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Please contact me for more information